Wednesday, January 30, 2013


It might seem strange to you
the way I talk about myself
unusual

but have you ever felt that feeling 
of pavement grating against bare skin
leaving it red and raw, exposed
sure shouldn’t wonder why kids cry 
about a scrape, hurts like hell
shouldn’t minimize their pain
it is real

more real than any object in the room
objects are simply nouns 
only there because my senses perceive them
no guarantee

the way my hurting heart feels
the hurt is a blister
can’t always tell if it’s head or if it’s heart
but it’s always there, a sickness
breathing down my neck
a monster

not hearing voices
or crazy, don’t put me in a box
not product in a warehouse
not waiting for a label
skipping past what could have been
skipping forward to “better”
what the hell does that mean

when a feeling recedes to the sidelines
may not be better, but what is a day
without the feeling
relief equates to something

standing on a bridge
in my mind
always in my mind, always 
just in my head
it’s just a feeling
“it’s just thoughts”
what I tell my shrink 
“it’s just thoughts”
I don’t have a plan
what I’m supposed to say

I am the after-effect of a shadow
the way something so slight as this
can already have an after-effect, I’m not sure
not like lightning
body is diminished to shadow 
and further diminished still
to nothing but the quiet we hear
as the sun sinks 
into the darkest corner of the earth 
and shadow disappears

slips away 
discolours in the emergence of a new world
and that is all I am, so insignificant that 
I am not even a shadow, 
but the afterthought of one

feelings are tugging on the seams of my clothes
pulling me down
towards rock-bottom
and I find it doesn’t exist 
and I find myself wishing it did
I am desperate 
putting faith in the existence of rock-bottom
I can feel myself falling
and all I need is somewhere to land